What is the Early Warning Audit?
The Early Warning Audit is an automated security scanner that performs a number of checks on system files and basic components of your website software and infrastructure.
Changes in these files and/or services are rare and could indicate an intruder has gained unauthorized access to your site. Thus, the audit looks for changes and notifies you when they are detected.
The Early Warning Audit is automated. It's frequency depends on the type of account:
- Paid and free trial plans — Eight times per day (every 3 hours, on average).
- Forever Free plan — Once per day.
If a change is detected in one of the files or services monitored by the Early Warning Audit, an email notification will be sent to you. Note that you must have notifications enabled for these types of changes in your Settings as described elsewhere in the Knowledge Base.
Items included in the early warning audit
The Early Warning Audit performs checks in the following categories:
- File — Changes to the size, checksum, and/or time stamp of critical system files
- Add-on — Changes to the installed extensions/plugins, themes/templates, and languages
- IP/URL — Changes to the IP Address or URL of the website
- Service — Changes in the version or status of critical services
The following table describes the files and services monitored for changes by the audit for both Joomla and WordPress.
|CMS configuration file#||File|
|Recently installed plugin/extension/language/theme/template||Add-on|
|Recently updated plugin/extension/language/theme/template||Add-on|
|Recently deleted plugin/extension/language/theme/template||Add-on|
|Backups properly configured||Add-on|
|Latest Backup Date||Add-on|
|Uptime (including Word to check)||Service|
#This filename is CMS specific.
##This path is CMS specific.
Search Knowledge base
- Does Watchful support managed hosts like WP Engine, Flywheel, and Pantheon?
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How to add Tags to your WordPress & Joomla websites in Watchful
- How to use the Add-on Auto Updater
- Installing the Watchful client
- Scheduling remote backups for Joomla
- Scheduling remote backups for WordPress
- The three types of backups in Watchful
- What is included in the free plans?
- What updates are supported by Watchful?