Troubleshooting uptime monitoring
If you are having difficulties obtaining accurate uptime information, or experience excessive uptime/downtime alerts, please review the instructions for using this feature.
If you still have problems, try the following solutions.
- Make sure you have a paid plan in the
accountarea of Watchful. Free plans are not able to monitor uptime.
- Make sure your site is connecting normally to Watchful. If not, please review our troubleshooting connection problems guide.
- Be sure that your domain name in Watchful site settings matches EXACTLY the address of your website, especially in regards to the use of
httpin the url.
- Be sure the
Word to Checkoption in your site details is spelled correct. If you are unsure about this, remove the
Word to Checkuntil the problem is resolved.
- Be sure the
Word to Checkexists on the homepage of your site.
- If you are using a phrase in the
Word to Checkoption, choose a single word instead.
- Whitelist the Watchful IP addresses as described here. You may need to contact your hosting provider for this.
- Whitelist the following user agent:
WebsiteOps (websiteops.io). You may need to contact your hosting provider for this.
- Make sure the DNS entries for your domain has propogated properly around the world.
- Visit dnschecker.org.
- Enter your domain name and click the
- Review the results. Your domain shoudl return your current server IP address for all locations.
- If one or more locations do not return your IP address, or return any IP address, contact your host or domain name registrar to resolve this issue.
- Delete and then create a new uptime monitor for your site. Instructions for adding and removing uptime monitors can be found here.
- Note that you will lose your uptime history for a gicen site when deleting and adding a new uptime monitor.
Search Knowledge base
- Add a Joomla website to Watchful
- Add a website to Watchful
- Add a WordPress website to Watchful
- Does Watchful support managed hosts like WP Engine, Flywheel, and Pantheon?
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How to add Tags to your WordPress & Joomla websites in Watchful
- How to use the Auto Update Scheduler
- How to use the Auto Updater
- Managing your auto-updating softwares
- Three ways to backup your website with Watchful