Does protecting the Joomla administrator folder with .htpasswd prevent file monitoring?
A common security practice for Joomla web sites is to restrict access to the administrative area with a basic authentication on the /administrator/ folder. On sites using cPanel/WHM, this is sometimes referred to as Directory Privacy.
An .htaccess file is used to indicate what user(s) can access this folder and its contents while the username/password combinations are stored in the .htpassd file.
Once the .htaccess/.htpasswd combination has been configured, all http and https requests (i.e. loading the folder in a web browser) will require credentials to proceed.
Watchful does not use http/https requests when monitoring files. Thus, Watchful is compatible with any .htaccess/.htpasswd restrictions you may have in place.
Managing private sites
If you are protecting your entire site with basic authentication, be sure to read our FAQ on managing private sites.
Search Knowledge base
- Add a Joomla website to Watchful
- Add a website to Watchful
- Add a WordPress website to Watchful
- Does Watchful support managed hosts like WP Engine, Flywheel, and Pantheon?
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How to add Tags to your WordPress & Joomla websites in Watchful
- How to use the Auto Update Scheduler
- How to use the Auto Updater
- Managing your auto-updating softwares
- Scheduling remote backups for Joomla