Scheduling remote backups for Joomla
In Joomla, Watchful backups use possible through an integration with Akeeba Backup for Joomla. Complete the following steps to configure your Joomla site for remote backups and enable remote backup management in the Watchful dashboard.
Note: Before proceeding, ensure that your website has been successfuly added to the Watchful dashboard.
Scheduling Watchful backups on Joomla sites
To schedule a site backup:
- Before proceeding, ensure that you have installed and configured Akeeba Backup for Joomla (see configuration details). The following versions of Akeeba Backup are fully compatible with Watchful:
- Akeeba Backup Core, version 6.x and earlier
- Akeeba Backup Pro, version 7.x and later
- Log in to your account at Watchful and view your Dashboard. Find the site you want to edit and click the site name to open the drawer and reveal the Tools and Insights area.
- In the Tools area, click the Edit button (shown in blue in the screenshot below) corresponding to the site you configured above for remote backups. This opens the Site Edit dialog:
- In the Backup Area, ensure that Akeeba is displayed in the Backup Plugin/Extension dropdown. In the Akeeba Backup's Secret word field, enter the secret word you configured on your website. Click the Save button at the bottom of the Site Edit dialog.
- Once the secret word is saved:
- If you have multiple Akeeba Backup Profiles, select the desired one from the drop-down list.
- Configure the Task scheduler for daily, weekly or monthly backups. If you choose a weekly schedule, you can select specific days to backup.
- Specify a backup Time. The best time to backup is typically the time oif day your site has the lowest traffic.
- Complete the process by selecting the Save & Close button at the bottom of the Site Edit dialog. This returns you to the open drawer for the site.
- In the tools section, test the remote backup process by selecting the Start Backup button (shown in blue in the screenshot below) in the site drawer.
Search Knowledge base
- Does Watchful support managed hosts like WP Engine, Flywheel, and Pantheon?
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How to add Tags to your WordPress & Joomla websites in Watchful
- How to use the Add-on Auto Updater
- Installing the Watchful client
- Scheduling remote backups for Joomla
- Scheduling remote backups for WordPress
- The three types of backups in Watchful
- What is included in the free plans?
- What updates are supported by Watchful?