Configuring Akeeba Backup for use in Watchful
Akeeba Backup is a versatile backup solution that can be used with both WordPress and Joomla. Below you will find detailed instructions for each platform.
Note 1: The instructions below for installing and configuring the Akeeba Backup plugin are not meant to be comprehensive. If you are confused or run into trouble, please first consult the official documentation akeebabackup.com.
Note 2: The Core/free version of Akeeba Backup is sufficient, but the PRO version has some excellent features such as offsite backup storage that we strongly recommend (compare versions).
Note 3: If you are experiencing problems with Akeeba Backup and Watchful after following the instructions below, please refer to our troubleshooting guide.
Configuring Akeeba Backup in WordPress
- Download Akeeba Backup directly from the developer's website.
- Log in to the administrative backend of your WordPress web site and install Akeeba Backup using the plugin uploader. This can be found by navigating to the Plugins > Add New area and selecting the Upload Plugin button at the top of the page.
- When the install is complete, activate the plugin using the button at the bottom of the post-installation screen.
- Select Akeeba Backup from the side menu and then scroll to the very bottom and click the System Configuration button.
- On the System Configuration page, select the Public API tab.
- Switch the Enable front-end and remote backup toggle to the On position.
- In the secret word field, enter a complex string of characters using a complex combination of numbers and letters (avoid special characters).
- Note: Do not confuse the Akeeba secret word with the Watchful Secret Key.
- Click the Save and Close button at the top to save your changes.
- After saving changes to the System Configuration, you will now be returned to the main Abeeba Backup area. Select the Backup Now button to perform and test the backup process. Do not proceed until you can successfully create a backup for your site.
Configuring Akeeba Backup in Joomla
- Login to the administrative backend of your Joomla web site and install Akeeba Backup.
- After installing Akeeba Backup, be sure that you can create a backup on your Joomla web site. This will ensure that Akeeba is working correctly on the client site.
- Once you have confirmed that Akeeba Backup is working as expected, you need to enable remote management. In the Joomla backend, go to Components > Akeeba Backup. In the top-right corner click on Options button.
- Select the Frontend backup tab, enable the first option, Enable front-end and remote backup and enter a Secret word. In order to avoid any problems, please only use alphanumeric characters (a-z, A-Z and 0-9) in the secret word. Do note that it is case sensitive, i.e. ABC, abc and Abc are three different secret words.
- Note: The Akeeba Secret word is not to be confused with the Secret Key generated by the Watchful client.
- Complete the Akeeba configuration by selecting Save & Close.
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How do I use the Site Audit?
- How do I use the Watchful REST API?
- How often does Watchful monitor my web sites?
- How to create a Watchful App
- How to make plugins and extension updates compatible with Watchful
- Installing the Watchful client
- Managing admin access with Single Sign-on
- Personalizing E-mail notifications
- Scheduling remote backups for Joomla