How to make updates for free plugins and extensions compatible with Watchful
Watchful automatically detects when software updates are available for the add-ons/extensions installed on websites.
It does this by examining sites for compatible software.
For developers, it is easy to make your software updates compatible with Watchful and available to all Watchers. Details are provided below for various types of software.
Free WordPress plugins on wordpress.org
For WordPress developers, simply ensure that your plugin is compatible with and listed on the official WordPress plugin directory at wordpress.org.
Free Joomla extensions
For cost-free extensions, simply follow the official documentation for supporting the Joomla updater which applies for Joomla 2.5 and greater:
Watchful does not support updates for plugins below Joomla 2.5.
Paid plugins & extensions
We currently support updates for premium WordPress plugins and commercial Joomla extensions through our centralized license manager. We have prepared separate FAQ that describes how developers should proceed to add support for their plugins/extensions to the license manager.
Search Knowledge base
- Does Watchful support managed hosts like WP Engine, Flywheel, and Pantheon?
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How to add Tags to your WordPress & Joomla websites in Watchful
- How to use the Add-on Auto Updater
- Installing the Watchful client
- Scheduling remote backups for Joomla
- Scheduling remote backups for WordPress
- The three types of backups in Watchful
- What is included in the free plans?
- What updates are supported by Watchful?