Monitoring critical files
Monitoring a full site in real-time for unauthorized file modifications is resource intensive and for many servers is not possible.
Thus, Watchful takes a very conservative approach to file monitoring. Only the following files* are monitored since these are common targets for defacing and hacking:
Watchful scans your site at least 8 times per day, and when it detects changes in any of these files you will be notified via email.
Changes can be of the following types:
- Contents of the file has changed
- Timestamp of the file has changed (i.e. In Joomla, saving the Global Configuration area without making any changes).
Please see the following FAQ if you receive a notice that a file on your site has been modified.
* filenames are relative to the server path where your Joomla site was installed.
Search Knowledge base
- Add a website to Watchful
- Does Watchful support managed hosts like WP Engine, Flywheel, and Pantheon?
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How to add Tags to your WordPress & Joomla websites in Watchful
- How to use the Add-on Auto Updater
- How to use the Auto Update Scheduler
- Managing your auto-updating softwares
- Scheduling remote backups for Joomla
- Scheduling remote backups for WordPress
- The three types of backups in Watchful